Wednesday 19 September 2007

Packing


I've just started packing, and came to realise there are a few items which you may find useful to bring over/nice to have with you over in the UK if you haven't reached the 20 or 30 kg luggage limit already.

- batik/kurung/traditional dress for cultural occasions
- something for formal occasions (suit/dress) if you intend to attend conferences, etc
- misc malaysian souvenirs to give away/show friends (eg postcards)
- you can buy indomie and maggi for about 50p a packet (or less if you buy a whole box) in chinatown in London
- your favourite random spice mixes – eg. adabi chicken curry, rendang, sambal belacan, tom yam, etc. most are available in london’s Chinatown, but you’ll spend about 60p-1+ quid for a small packet. might as well chuck a few small packets into your luggage
- milo can also be bought there. expensive though. i'm bringing over a box of chinese tea leaves.
- kaya! – haven’t come across shops which sell kaya. Fresh kaya normally lasts about 1 month +. If you’re a big fan (like me), it’d help to bring along 1-2 packets.
- Moisturizer? (I didn’t find it too necessary)
- Lip gloss (absolutely necessary)

Computer paraphernalia:
- External hard disk (rm 200 for 80gb. abt 40-50 quid in the UK. useful for backing up your files)
- Usb thumb drive (rm36 for a 1 gb thumb drive. 6-10 quid in UK)
- Usb port extension (if you're like me and find that the 2/3 ports on your pc isn't enough)
- Microphone and earphones (if you intend to skype back home. if you don't have a pc, you can also skype from the computer labs, so these items will be useful anyhow)

All electronic items here are cheaper. Value Added Tax is at 17.5% in the UK. So if you were thinking of getting a digital camera and mp3 player, it’ll be cheaper here.

If you're thinking of getting warm clothing, my advise would be to bring over 1 or 2 sweaters/jackets at most and go shopping for something warmer when you arrive in the UK. It'll be about 12-20 degrees when you arrive, still not too cold. cameron highlands is at 15-24 degrees celsius, if you need a point of reference.

Feel free to add to the list, and all the best packing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think hand lotion is necessary..I didn't have dry skin problem before going to England. I remember my first few weeks at uni I just ignored my dry, cracked hands. Until they started to hurt. Now dry hands are England's lasting contribution to my life.

For first timers, don't bring too many clothes. In my case I ended up not wearing most of them becos I preferred the clothes I bought there!

What else is there...door stoppers/door wedge? Haha I don't know...I found them useful becos I was in good term with my flatmates throughout the years and we had 'open door' policy.